[sumo] Great sumo stuff on Youtube

Thierry Perran thierry.perran at club-internet.fr
Tue Jul 15 19:32:21 EDT 2008

Hi list,

Juergen is right, there is great sumo stuff that needs to save on your
computer as soon as possible.

Here is a very fine clip featuring all the 39 bouts between yokozuna
Takanohana, the mawashi master, and his fellow ozeki Kaio, the right
uwate-nage master. Takanohana has the edge on Kaio with his 27 wins, but
all the bouts were excellent! If you like powerful mawashi battles, you
should check the video below and you will just love it !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyLCkrWvhBk

Hum, do you know what a Kawazugake is ?

Kawazugake is a very rare kimarite that very few people are able to
master... and the former ozeki Takanonami was one of them with his
unique octopussy-style. The great Takanonami beat Takanohana by
kawazugake in a playoff bout to clinch his second and final yusho in
november 1997. This is the most unusual and possibly the most beautiful
bout I have ever seen : Takanonami style !!!!

I wrote an article on this bout for the 4th number of Le Monde du sumo
(english translation here:
http://www.lemondedusumo.com/english/MDS4_takanonami.php?mag=mds&num=4),
but you should see the bout by yourself in the following Youtube video
(featuring the first defeats of yokozuna Takanohana). The Takanonami
bout starts at 4:20s, enjoy !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCcGJ4be3yc

Back to Nagoya basho and greetings from Paris,
Thierry