[sumo] [spoiler] Rikishi Talk Basho 4 Day 01

Barbara barbara at technogirls.org
Mon Jul 14 20:03:58 EDT 2008

Rikishi Talk Nagoya Day 01 (Madorosumaru)

Asashoryu: (Looking extremely vulnerable in losing to Toyonoshima) [I
had the right uwate so] I thought I could go for the finish. I got
caught by his desperation throw.

Toyonoshima: (Happy as a clam in defeating Asashoryu for the first time)
The nage worked because I put everything into it. I am really glad that
I was able to finally win [over the yokozuna].

Hanaregoma Oyakata: (Observing Ryu's less-than-awesome performance) He
seemed somewhat light. With that kind of sumo, he is going to have a
difficult time.

Hakuho: (Showing some yokozuna zumo in disposing Prince Not-So-Charming,
Kisenosato) I had a left-hand hold [of the mawashi] so I wasn't
flustered. I was able to move quite well.

Kisenosato: (Succumbing to Hakuho despite getting his favorite hold) To
lose after grabbing the uwate really hurts. That's something I have to
work on.

Kotooshu: (Outdone by nemesis Aminishiki from the get go) For a moment,
I thought it was matta. Did he touch the dohyo [before he stood]? What
do you guys think?

Aminishiki: (Noting the ozeki set up in an unusually early ready
position) All I had in mind was to not get beat at tachi-ai.

Kitanoumi Rijicho: (Reacting to Osh's excuses) It's not good that he's
saying such things from the first day.

More Rijicho: (On Osh's tsunatori requirements, which may now be moot)
He needs to do better than last basho. Achieving 14 [or more] wins is
going to be a long, hard road. Moreover, the quality of his sumo will
also be important.

Kokonoe Oyakata: (Won 14 straight after shonichi loss in his tsunatori
basho) I don't sense the kind of determination from Kotooshu of wanting
to succeed in tsunatori no matter what. In my case, I felt there
wouldn't be too many opportunities so I went after it as if my life
depended on it.

More Osh: (Sounding properly dejected) Well, today is over with. I'll
just have to start over with a fresh attitude.

Kotomitsuki: (Showing Wakanoho who's the boss) I was surprisingly calm
and collected. I want [to continue doing well so] the hometown crowd
will keep on cheering for me.

Chiyotaikai: (Opening with a nice win in another kadoban basho) I won
for a change. [The time between basho] felt really long [after the
dismal Natsu Basho]. Everything seems different when you win even one.

More Taikai: (Wistfully) If would only do sumo like today's all the time
. . .

Kaio: (Authoritatively flinging Asasekiryu onto the dohyo) It's still
the first day. The [dreaded] Nagoya heat is not too bad. When the
weather gets miserable, it really affects one's physical well-being.

Ama: (Having no problem with Futeno) I am ranked higher than he is. I
can't lose bouts like that.

Kotoshogiku: (Upset by veteran Tochinonada) My tachi-ai wasn't bad, and
I was determined not to get out-pushed. Darn it. I'm p.o.'d.

Chiyohakuho: (Victorious in head-to-head against fellow promotee
Masatsukasa) The crowd was all excited. It felt good to do sumo in front
of all those people. I was nervous only during the dohyo-iri.

Quotes of the Day

Aminishiki: (In partially snipping Osh's tsunatori chances) I guess I
didn't do him much of a favor.

More Ami: (Watching Toyonoshima land a bigger fish) That guy is going to
steal my spotlight.