[sumo] [SPOILER] Possible Intai?

Jeanne Hedge jhedge at rcn.com
Sat Jan 19 20:31:46 EST 2008

At 08:11 PM 1/19/08, Joe Petrow wrote:
 >On 1/20/08, Dale Carlson <drc at oz.net> wrote:
 >> At 09:16 PM 1/19/2008 +0900, Doreen Simmons wrote:
 >> >Try 'kyujo' and you'll be on the ball. The man is injured and has only
 >> >one usable arm. That's kyujo not intai.
 >>
 >> I understand that, of course. I was simply questioning/speculating
 >> as to why he hadn't withdrawn days before. An ozeki going 0-7
 >> struck me as very odd behavior. Still does.
 >
 >I don't think that losing is a "behavior"...
 >
 >There are a lot of ways to look at it.  One is that Chiyotaikai still
 >has a strong desire to compete regardless of the results.  In that
 >case, he may follow the path of Konishiki and Takanonami and compete
 >as long as he can stay in Makunouchi, which may or may not qualify as
 >"very odd behavior for an ozeki" in your eyes.

Whatever it is, I think this situation is another very good example
of the bad things that have happened in the time since the kyujo rule
was changed. From his quotes on the subject, he knew from the
beginning that he stood very little chance of being competitive this
time out. Were the old rules in place, I think he would have sat this
one out. Under the current rules, he really had no choice but go out
there and practically give away 8 wins. I don't think this sort of
thing is what the guys in charge had in mind when they changed the rules.

btw - announcement of his withdrawal is still not on the NSK website.

Regards,
Jeanne Hedge