R: [sumo] Tokitenku vs. Asashoryu ---> Goeido vs. Asashoryu

Paolo Viel paolo.viel at iol.it
Sat Jan 19 04:57:02 EST 2008

If the answer is: a matta is when the gyoji says matta, I should stop here.
And you are right that other rikishi do the same, but:
a. once I read that the "rule" said that both rikishi must be touching the
ground for the start
   of the bout to be considered possible, bevause that is the only way to be
certain that both
   are ready. Then they started to behave differently, the gyoji started not
to stop the bouts
   and so on. But we still read of many rikishi complaining saying "I
thought it was a matta".
   So if there is no objective element that says the two are ready, then
when is it a matta
   or should it be called a matta ?
b. I always saw Asashoryu with his fists well touching the ground before the
start.
   I can't remember him doing that fast action of moving the arms forward
without even touching the ground.
Thanks anyway
Paolo Viel