[sumo] Jungyo and Koen

Dale Carlson drc at oz.net
Mon Feb 11 00:45:28 EST 2008

At 12:40 PM 2/11/2008 +0900, Doreen Simmons wrote:
>That is an oversimplification. Tough negotiating is carried out, and
>probably each koen is different. The country being visited has to make
>certain arrangements and is expected to provide venues and the like, as
>well as helping with the organizing, but it is Japan that commonly
>shoulders much of the burden of sending the tour group. In the case of
>a jungyo, it is the Kyokai that requires guarantees from local
>promoters.

So what was the event in Vancouver 10 (!!) years ago? Did the government
of Canada subsidize it? They printed plenty of postage stamps commemorating
the event. And every day I wear a nice baseball cap embroidered with a couple
of rikishi in combat and "Sumo Canada _Basho_" above them :) The few times
it's come up, I've tried to explain that it was actually a koen, and
certainly not
a basho...

Confused :)
Dale