[OT]My last post to the mailing list. This is going to be long (was... RE: [sumo] OT: Very bad news

Barbara barbara at technogirls.org
Thu Feb 7 01:07:29 EST 2008

Doreen Simmons wrote:
> Can't winkle out who this was. But I suppose it's now irrelevant.
>
> Sorry I still haven't had time to write much to the list lately -- the
> people who pay me to write have been a little stroppy.

You forced me to look up "stroppy".  One place said it meant "bolshy"!
Suddenly I wondered if I had Alzheimers and ordinary words were being
erased from my mind.  Then I noticed they were Britishisms.  They mean
pugnacious, argumentative, etc.  I'm such a loyal BBC viewer and love
British English but for some reason those had never come across to me
before.

Knocked me for a loop.  Or, to essay it in British English instead of
Americanese, "You gave me rather a bit of a fright, my dear."

Barbara Murasakihana