[sumo] 20 straight losers

Magnus Berg magnus.rie at comhem.se
Fri Feb 1 16:01:44 EST 2008

Hi list!
While looking through some statistics in my computer, I noticed
something potentially interesting:

Kotoshogiku debuted in makunouchi in January 2005.
Well, that may not be a revelation, but as you all know Shogiku's top
rank is sekiwake, a rank he will return to in March. The slightly
interesting part is that of the 20 rikishi who have made their
makunouchi debut after Kotoshogiku, not one has made it to a sanyaku
rank. That's 20 shin-nyumaku in 3 years who have failed to, as of yet,
reach as high as komusubi. Baruto and Homasho have come closest,
reaching maegashira 1. Of course, they, and some of the others (Goeido,
Ichihara, Toyohibiki) will probably make it eventually, but frankly
boys, that track record sucks. This group also include some of the
worst maegashira in recent memory with Daimanazuru (one basho at
maegashira 16, two wins) and Ryuho (one basho at maegashira 16, four
wins).

One theory for this collective badness is that the group just before
The No-Good Twenty has the opposite record, thus hogging the sanyaku
ranks and barring their juniors. Of the 11 shin-nyumaku starting with
Kokkai in January 2004 and ending with Kotoshogiku a year later, no
less than 10 have reached a sanyaku rank. The only exception is
Harunoyama, debut in March '04, top rank maegashira 10.

Oh, and speaking of Kotoshogiku: wasn't there anyone else who thought
that he deserved a kanto-sho in Hatsu? Getting 9 wins at komusubi,
despite being out three days due to injury, sure defines fighting
spirit to me. His sumo in the first week was also excellent, IMO.

Oh, and that reminds me of another fun-filled statistical fact: with
the (well-deserved) san-sho for Kakuryu and Takekaze in Hatsu Basho,
the number of current makunouchi rikishi with more than two basho in
the division, who have NOT won a san-sho is... one... Only Yoshikaze
fits that description (Wakanoho, Wakakirin and Ichihara are also
non-sansho'ers).

That's it from Maguroyama's Stat Corner for now. Good night!