Fwd: [sumo] Bad news for the London koen

Sumocypher at aol.com Sumocypher at aol.com
Mon Dec 22 06:14:33 EST 2008

Also the International Herald Tribune by way of the associated press. I
didn't see anything from the UK denying these reports.
0

Nobody puts Asashoryu in the corner.

 _http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/12/22/sports/SUM-Japan-Sumo-Tour.php_
(http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/12/22/sports/SUM-Japan-Sumo-Tour.php)

 (http://www.iht.com/)
Report: London sumo tour  canceled

The Associated Press
Monday, December  22, 2008

TOKYO: An exhibition of sumo wrestling in London next year  has been canceled
because it would cost too much to hold, a report said  Monday.
The Japan Sumo Association had planned to bring its wrestlers to London's
Albert Hall next October for the exhibition, but decided Monday to scrap the
event because of the expenses involved, Kyodo News reported.
The report quoted association chairman Musashigawa as saying that the group
needs to keep its expenses down and that the worldwide economic downturn could
 also force them to consider canceling other overseas exhibitions.
Kyodo quoted a sumo association official as saying the strength of the yen
against other currencies means the exhibition would cost 60 percent more than
they had estimated.
The sumo association held its most recent overseas tour in Las Vegas, in the
United States, in 2005, it said.
The association was not immediately available for comment.