[sumo] Maeuri today - non-sumo now

JZ8D-SMMN at asahi-net.or.jp JZ8D-SMMN at asahi-net.or.jp
Mon Dec 8 21:32:44 EST 2008

Many thanks for the additional information, Mark.

I tend not to look up the story again myself, but simply recommend others to Google 'Chushingura'.

Your point about headcounts throughout history is well-taken. The ordinary footsoldiers in the so-called period of chivalry
simply didn't count; and prisoners taken were ransomed -- if they were gentlemen and had money.
It wasn't until Shakespeare brought on his ordinary soldiers and gave them voices that public perception began to be changed, I imagine.

And we won't go into just how many of the 'British' in the American war of independence were actually British and not foreign mercenaries!

Hope I got this right -- I'm working on a tiny screen accessing by BBB.

Doreen Simmons
jz8d-smmn at asahi-net.or.jp