[sumo] Wakanoho Caught with Marijuana

JZ8D-SMMN at asahi-net.or.jp JZ8D-SMMN at asahi-net.or.jp
Mon Aug 18 23:05:13 EDT 2008

Scott said: >I am working off of information posted on the mailing list.

Doreen adds: I am working in difficult conditions myself, as TV news coverage
 has been slashed for the duration of the Olympics. The evening seven o'clock
news on NHK (30 minutes, bilingual) is still going but it has been 15 or 20
 minutes late on several days with an event overrunning -- and since I record
it to watch when I get home, most of the 'news' isn't there.
The nine o'clock news (60 minutes) is not being aired at all. Yesterday evening
I had been home only about five minutes with no time to watch the recorded news,
when I got a phone call from the CNN reporter. I had also not had time to switch on the
airconditioner and was hot and sticky, as I had been for much of the day. :-(

>That a similar discovery was made at his private apartment was not
>posted here before...

I should have made it clear that this is the private room inside the heya, to which each
sekitori is entitled. I only found out this morning that he had also smuggled a woman in, against heya rules.
I feel very sorry for Magaki oyakata, who is ill enough to be in a wheel chair and obviously
hasn't been able to keep an eye on things.

>> They weren't planning on testing for this kind of substance
>> abuse, AFAIK; just performance-enhancing drugs.
>
>It's about time they do, or is it again asking too much of the
>Kyokai to police its own?  Is a discussion of this kind of drug use
>amongst rikishi a taboo question in Japan?

No; the subject simply hadn't arisen, whereas steroid use had.

Now, I really must get back to the day job.;-)

Doreen Simmons
jz8d-smmn at asahi-net.or.jp