[sumo] GOAT in sumo?

Lon Howard itsulon at wavecable.com
Sun Aug 17 19:45:06 EDT 2008

On Aug 17, 2008, at 12:31 PM, Harold Shaver wrote:

>  Futabayama was a great Yokozuna beyond doubt, but just to say he
> would have won 30 yusho if he had competed in the 6-a-year schedule
> is somewhat unfounded as we don't know what his endurance or injury
> situation might have been wrestling that many times a year.
> Certainly he would have wone more that he did but 30? I'm not
> convinced.

This is a great point.  For the most part, I've never given much
thought to  GOAT discussions because of the great differences that
existed between  opponents, and eras in general.  But if I had to
make such a judgment, I would at least have to  whittle the field
down to those yokozuna who had to hammer away year round - not only
physically, but mentally as well.  Not that Futabayama, Tachiyama, et
al couldn't have, but they didn't have to prove that they were up to
the grind.

Beyond that though, it's very difficult.  The argument for
Chiyonofuji is very compelling.  The one thing I would offer on
Taiho's behalf is that he made winning seem so ridiculously easy most
of the time.  Chiyo's bouts were more entertaining because of his
size, but most of Taiho's opponents looked totally helpless.  They
couldn't have been THAT bad, but he made them seem that way.

- Shomishuu