[sumo] GOAT in sumo?

John James jjandbarb at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 17 15:21:20 EDT 2008

Interesting thread you started here.  I think it comes down to the writers opinion as to who makes the list.  Perhaps to cast a wide net he threw in a name he heard from someone who knew more about that sport.  I haven't looked at the whole list yet but I suspect it will be mostly athletes who participate in sports that are played worldwide with a few like Takanohana thrown in.  Maybe in Takanohana's case, he is remembered by the writer (in Takanohana's younger days) as the most "athletic looking" sumo wrestler.

Jiji brought up "staying power" in his post.  I'd like to ask what each of you consider more important.  Staying power, maybe 10-12 years or more in sumo.  Or is dominance over a shorter period, say 3-4 years.  In sumo terms, 10 years of staying power winning 2-3 basho a year might give you 25-30 yusho spread out over more than 70 basho.  On the other hand, 4 years winning 5 titles a year could give you 20 yusho crammed into less than 25 basho.  Based on these 2 scenarios, who is the greater rikishi?

Ok, a new question.  Who do you think are the 5 greatest rikishi of all time?

Barb> From: magnus.rie at comhem.se> > Yes, the list HAS been very quiet, so I thought I should throw in a > potential thread for someone to reply to.> > The other day, as Michael Phelps became the most olympic gold medal > winner ever, Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter published their list of > the greatest athletes of all time (hence the goat in the subject line). > While such a list is near impossible, it is always fun and a good topic > for discussion. The top of the list (1. Pelé, 2. Carl Lewis, 3. Michael > Jordan, 4. Jesse Owens, 5. Nadia Comaneci. Phelps? #12) could be > debated elsewhere, but what I thought was interesting was the only sumo > rikishi on the list, #77, Takanohana. Good that they acknowledge sumo, > but shouldn't it have been Taiho, Futabayama or Chiyonofuji? Or can > anyone find a good argument why Takanohana should be regarded as the > GOAT in sumo? If media interest is put into the mix, he might be, but I > don't really see how that makes him a greater athlete. Sure, it could > possibly be argued that he had a stronger rival in Akebono than either > Taiho or Chiyo had, bu he is still 10 yusho behind Taiho and 9 behind > Chiyo. Futabayama would likely have won over 30 had he competed in the > 6 basho-a-year-era. Of course, there's also Asashoryu... at least in a > few years?> > So, are Dagens Nyheter just semi-ignorant of things sumoan or are there > any objective arguments for placing Taka as the sole sumo on the list? > What do you think?> > Maguroyama