[sumo] GOAT in sumo?

Robert Hovestadt sherlockiama at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 19:45:16 EDT 2008

I'm not sure how much weight my opinion will really carry, even in this
decidedly international audience, but I will post it all the same.

I am sure that the folks at Danges Nyheter like many other journalistic
publications do not understand the athleticis it takes to be a successful
sumotori [not sure that is a term that i should use], and I am sure that
Takanohana made it to the list because of the media coverage he recieved. It
is unlikely that many people in Sweden would have the faintest idea who
Taiho and Chiyonoifuji are, and I can guarantee that the case would be muuch
the same here in the United States.  Just consider that there is no coverage
of sumo available in any fashion from an American broadcast outlet.  The
sole availalbility that I am aware of in the Northeast reagion of the US is
TV Japan on the Dish Network. Not sure I understand why Phelps is only
ranked 12th on that list, he should clearly [IMO] be in the top 10 at the
very least, I would be much interested to see that list or at least the top
50 of it just to see what they think.

respectfully
Bob "Sherlockiama" Hovestadt