[sumo] Tokitsukaze beya rikishi dies

Doreen Simmons jz8d-smmn at asahi-net.or.jp
Fri Jun 29 21:40:59 EDT 2007

On 2007/06/30, at 8:54, Barbara the technogirl wrote:

> It seems like a couple of kids every year die suddenly and
> unexpectedly during basketball here in the US. That is an aerobic
> sport, not a contact sport.  Is there any reason to suspect bad
> treatment in these cases?  I think teenagers who have never been
> pushed to their limit will have a small but nonzero chance of dying in
> any sport, Japan or elsewhere.  Hazing is a deprecable practice but I
> don't see why we should blame it in this case.  The media, on the
> other hand, are different. It is their job to inflame conspiracy
> theories, corrupt practices, and illicit behavior of all kinds, and if
> they cannot uncover the real thing they can always create nearly the
> same effect by pretending there is a big cover-up and giving that as
> the explanation for there being no corroborating evidence. We are
> stooges of the media if we play along with them.  [snip]

Indeed. The whole story has not come out, it is clear, and a lot of the
stuff being tossed around contradicts earlier reports -- such as that
the hospital did a complete autopsy including CT scan and found nothing
that could have caused death.

OTOH, the word is out that the kid himself was smoking, in a place not
far from the heya's quarters, but it has not yet been said who he was
with. It also appears that the parents' story is getting increasingly
dramatic. This is why respectable media are keeping a distance, until
they have some real facts to go on.

Doreen Simmons
  jz8d-smmn at asahi-net.or.jp