[sumo] Tokitsukaze beya rikishi dies

Barbara barbara at technogirls.org
Fri Jun 29 19:54:31 EDT 2007

It seems like a couple of kids every year die suddenly and unexpectedly
during basketball here in the US. That is an aerobic sport, not a
contact sport.  Is there any reason to suspect bad treatment in these
cases?  I think teenagers who have never been pushed to their limit will
have a small but nonzero chance of dying in any sport, Japan or
elsewhere.  Hazing is a deprecable practice but I don't see why we
should blame it in this case.  The media, on the other hand, are
different. It is their job to inflame conspiracy theories, corrupt
practices, and illicit behavior of all kinds, and if they cannot uncover
the real thing they can always create nearly the same effect by
pretending there is a big cover-up and giving that as the explanation
for there being no corroborating evidence. We are stooges of the media
if we play along with them.  The poor boy probably had an undiagnosed
valve defect, arterial aneurysm or some other "time bomb" which might
not have shown up for decades -- if only he had not gone into a tough
physical sport as he did.  Every person on the planet has some level of
exertion which will kill them, if they exceed it.  For most that level
is higher than they can or will push themselves. But for a few, it is
sadly a little bit lower.

Barbara Murasakihana