[sumo] Tokitsukaze beya rikishi dies

Tetsuonoumi wcb at BostonDynamics.com
Fri Jun 29 15:11:46 EDT 2007

I don't know if I'd call it quite common, but you're right it is not
unheard of.

But, you also must admit that such deaths have been followed with
policies to better protect players and educate coaches.  A huge
example of this has been the attitude to water for athletes, old
school coaches used to not give any and give salt pills.  Truth is,
American football is at the opposite spectrum from sumo in one
regard, it is sport that is constantly changing each year and has no
fear in making changes.  Sumo is closer to soccer, change is
vehemently resisted.

They are my three favorite sports btw!

Jonosuke sez:
>You seem to forget Takanohana and Wakanohana were in
>their prime not so long ago and every basho day was
>sold out

Yes, the Taka/Waka era was prosperous, but as I remember that time, I
seem to remember that soccer and baseball were already mercilessly
eating away at its popularity.

Akinomaki shreib:
>I don't think extra bullying was involved.

Saying that is as groundless as saying there was extra bullying involved.

         -Tetsuonoumi

         Tetsuonoumi