[sumo] Tokitsukaze beya rikishi dies

Achim Pawelczyk sumo at achimp.de
Fri Jun 29 14:40:32 EDT 2007

Joe Kuroda schrieb:
> --- Achim Pawelczyk <sumo at achimp.de> wrote:
>
>> The death of Tokitaizan can't be anything else but
>> gravely damaging to
>> Ozumo's popularity among young Japanese fans and
>> rikishi hopefuls.
>
> Gravely damaging to Ozumo's popularity? I hardly think
> so. I don't want to make light of a death of someone
> so young but most people can't even name one Makushita
> rikishi let alone a Jonokuchi.
>
> Fans still watch Ozumo and kids still join Ozumo.
> However tragic this incident is, Ozumo won't change
> much just because of one incident like this.
>
> Recruits died in a heya previously but not much has
> happened. Oyakata suffered a crippiling illness or
> some died like Hatachiyama recently but things go on
> just like always.
>
> Ostensively they will make some type of small gesture
> but that's just about all.

Yes, that's how it has been so far. I just hope that Kitanoumi will do a
bit more.
The present incident enforces the (turning away from) sumo-banare trend
among hopefuls, which the sumo kyokai should try hard to counter.
I left the "gravely" in my above sentence because I fear that it may
make the trend irreversible.

I think times have changed enough to let the kyokai realize that
something is wrong with the present training system.
School teachers with so far permanent teaching licenses in Japan are
subject to discussion - why not oyakata getting trained to new standards ?

--
Akinomaki