[sumo] Tokitsukaze beya rikishi dies

Achim Pawelczyk sumo at achimp.de
Fri Jun 29 12:51:55 EDT 2007

Joe Petrow schrieb:
> On 6/29/07, Tetsuonoumi <wcb at bostondynamics.com> wrote:
>> "There is a clear majority in Japan, led by young people, who DO NOT
>> hold Ozumo beyond reproach."
>
> I agree with this statement.  But what I said was "I think that not
> even the sudden collapse and death of Takamisakari would prompt the
> _media_ to go after the sacred institution of Ozumo."  The media being
> the lapdog of the Japanese government, which controls NHK, which by
> and large controls Ozumo.

Indeed, I'm still waiting for NHK to mention the present incident.
Usually a youngster's death is news for them anytime.

I don't think extra bullying was involved. Hochi shimbun mentions heavy
training involving harite (face slapping). Like with any martial art,
the training in itself is enough to possibly cause severe injuries.

In a press conference Tokitsukaze-oykata told that he thought seemingly
tough "broad shouldered" Saito had the potential to become strong, else
he wouldn't have brought him back to the heya.
I believe that the oyakata (former komusubi Futatsuryu) indeed just let
the boy train the traditional way he's used to - but he certainly didn't
act according to the individual condition.

Kitanoumi-rijicho proposed two health checks a year and asking expert
advice to manage rikishi health.
Changing the traditional training methods and preserving sumo tradition
at the same time may be a tough task.

The death of Tokitaizan can't be anything else but gravely damaging to
Ozumo's popularity among young Japanese fans and rikishi hopefuls.
Not long and only those with university sumo background might remain.
And more tough foreigners to fill the gap?

--
Akinomaki