[sumo] Tokitsukaze beya rikishi dies

Tetsuonoumi wcb at BostonDynamics.com
Fri Jun 29 10:06:38 EDT 2007


Yes, fair enough.  It is wrong of me to sound like I was jumping to 
conclusions about what happened, I was more trying to respond to 
Peterao's point.  I condemn anyone who says the death was a result of 
hazing/dangerous practices before the facts are in.  Accidents and 
tragedies happen.

Also, I said one sentence in my earlier message exactly the opposite 
of what I meant.  Meant to say:

"There is a clear majority in Japan, led by young people, who DO NOT 
hold Ozumo beyond reproach."

At 09:35 AM 6/29/2007, you wrote:
>Not to sound like I'm taking the side of hazing, but
>are we sure that hazing is what caused this kids
>death? Or was it just a particularly hard round of
>Butsugari? I have busted up my ribs before in
>practice, broken several bones and there was no hazing
>involved. Of course I didn't die, but I don't think
>you can assume hazing was involved.
>
>Hinerikeri
>
>
>--- Tetsuonoumi <wcb at bostondynamics.com> wrote:
>
> > At 08:43 AM 6/29/2007, you wrote:
> > >On 6/29/07, Scott Kahn <smk1 at columbia.edu> wrote:
> > >>This is genuinely sad.  While it sounds as though
> > the Kyokai suggests
> > >>that Tokitaizan had a heart valve problem, such a
> > problem should have
> > >>been looked for and diagnosed upon his acceptance
> > into sumo.
> > >
> > >A light is being shined on the health practices of
> > the professional
> > >wrestling industry thanks to the tragedy that
> > occurred this week.  But
> > >I think that not even the sudden collapse and death
> > of Takamisakari
> > >would prompt the media to go after the sacred
> > institution of Ozumo.
> > >
> > >  - Peterao
> >
> > I disagree.  Sure, there is a segment of Japanese
> > society that
> > probably considers Ozumo beyond reproach.  But the
> > decline in sumo
> > isn't just about ratings, it's also about its
> > difficulty in remaining
> > relevant in modern society, its generational skew
> > towards older
> > citizens.  There is a clear majority in Japan, led
> > by young people,
> > who hold Ozumo beyond reproach.
> >
> > At American universities and high schools in the
> > 1980s, there were
> > many proud sports and fraternity institutions with
> > hazing practices
> > that many thought at the time were beyond reform
> > because of the
> > money, prestige, and history associated with those
> > institutions...but
> > the people who thought that were wrong.  Change
> > came.
> >
> > I love sumo, but the hazing practices at the heyas,
> > in my opinion,
> > are already living on borrowed time, and will
> > certainly be swept away
> > in the next 20 years, and perhaps much much quicker
> > than that.
> >
> > And when the worst of it is gone, we'll all be
> > better for it, as
> > better athletes will consider sumo, once they know
> > they won't be
> > subjected to the humiliating and needlessly harmful
> > practices of
> > today's stables.
> >
> >          -Tetsuonoumi
> >
> > >_______________________________________________
> > >Sumo mailing list
> > >Sumo at webtrek.com
> > >http://www.webtrek.com/mailman/listinfo/sumo
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Sumo mailing list
> > Sumo at webtrek.com
> > http://www.webtrek.com/mailman/listinfo/sumo
> >
>
>
>
>
>____________________________________________________________________________________
>Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
>Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when.
>http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
>_______________________________________________
>Sumo mailing list
>Sumo at webtrek.com
>http://www.webtrek.com/mailman/listinfo/sumo



More information about the Sumo mailing list