[sumo] More diagnoses on Tokitaizan

Sumobaba sumobab at attglobal.net
Fri Jun 29 07:25:09 EDT 2007

This is now likely to start some serious ripples in the sumo community. I
can't see how it wouldn't.

http://www.gaijinpot.com/read_news.php?id=11666

Sumo wrestler who collapsed likely died of shock caused by multiple injuries

INUYAMA, Aichi -- The cause of the sudden death of a sumo wrestler during
practice here earlier this week is likely to be shock caused by multiple
injuries he sustained to his whole body, police said.

"It's difficult to confirm the cause of his death, but it's suspected that
he died of shock caused by multiple injuries," an investigator said.

Local police had initially announced that 17-year-old professional sumo
wrestler Tokitaizan died of acute heart failure.

Police found injuries on his whole body -- including bruises, abrasions and
a cartilage fracture near his ribs.

Even though it is natural that he sustained such wounds during a training
session, investigators are questioning officials at his stable about the way
Tokitaizan underwent training in Inuyama at the time of the incident.

Stablemaster Tokitsukaze said he has no idea of the cause of the wrestler's
death. "I'm sorry about his death. I was told by the hospital that he died
of acute heart failure. I don't know what went wrong. I don't think the
training was particularly tough or that he had a health problem," he told a
news conference.

Tokitaizan collapsed during a sparring bout in Inuyama at about 11:40 a.m.
on Tuesday. He was rushed to a hospital where he died about 2 1/2 hours
later. (Mainichi)

Sumobaba
See my blog http://sumobaba.vox.com