[sumo] Tokitsukaze beya rikishi dies

Scott Kahn smk1 at columbia.edu
Thu Jun 28 11:33:28 EDT 2007

This is genuinely sad.  While it sounds as though the Kyokai suggests
that Tokitaizan had a heart valve problem, such a problem should have
been looked for and diagnosed upon his acceptance into sumo.  If, indeed
he suffered from a round of exuberance during practice, such beatings
may have caused brain swelling, and panic could have set in at the
beya.  Instead of Tokitaizan being rushed to the hospital to relieve the
swelling, and to save his life, his oyakata could have tried to save his
own hide rather than the rikishi's life.  I can see this having severe
repurcussions regarding the treatment of new rikishi if it is ruled that
this was the result of negligence.  Actually, even if there was an
underlying medical condition, the Kyokai can and should put regulations
into place in this day and age that protect new rikishi from the most
severe of customary "hazings" that are intended to build up the
rikishi's threshold to pain and character.  This would be a productive
course of action by the members of the YDC, if it is within their realm
to suggest such measures, and if the Kyokai is willing to change long
established behaviors.

I don't know what kind of heath measures in place to take care of
retired rikishi, this is an interesting question.  Considering the risks
that accompany a sumotori's physical adaptations, the Kyokai should have
an excellent comprehensive program in place.  Furthermore, deny it or
not, confidential monitoring for the long term consequences of anabolic
steroid use by rikishi should be a part of this care.

A saddened Sukubidubidu.