[sumo] Tokitsukaze beya rikishi dies

Achim Pawelczyk sumo at achimp.de
Thu Jun 28 09:07:34 EDT 2007

Asahi Shimbun also mentions that the family asked Niigata university for
a further examination and an official autopsy because of the severe
injuries, leaving the boy's face severely distorted.
Crushing heads at tachi-ai without proper preparation ?
Was it Baruto or Kokkai who had difficulties with that and one basho had
some bulb in the face ?

Kitanoumi-rijicho expressed that everyone has a different level of keiko
being too hard. The oyakata has to act appropriately, being the one who
knows best what the actual conditions are.

Tokitsukaze-beya put a notice outside "no practice (keiko) today".

Saito (Tokitaizan) entered 182 cm tall and 112 kg heavy - usually that's
ideal for starting sumo, but if it was mainly fat, maybe that made it
especially hard for him.
In May he passed mae-zumo and just appeared on the banzuke for the first
time.
Did he already look like an accustomed rikishi but perhaps was not being
able to move like one ?
He could have been put under extra pressure and maybe had a weaker than
average heart, not showing as a real heart disease during the entrance
health check. Does anybody know exactly how and what they test there ?

Maybe the fitness test for the ones too small to enter straight should
be compulsory for all.

--
Akinomaki