[sumo] Tokitsukaze beya rikishi dies

Sumobaba sumobab at attglobal.net
Thu Jun 28 07:05:13 EDT 2007

Having sent the info below, and looking further on the web, I also see that
the Kyokai is attributing the boy's unfortunate death to "heart failure". He
only entered sumo around 3 months ago. Would the physical screening not have
shown some symptom of heart disease? I really am asking, not being cynical,
because I would like to know the answer, not imply that the Kyokai's
physician(s) weren't doing their jobs. We all know that brutal training does
take place, specifically involving the newer- and lower-ranked boys. I would
think that if he was severely beaten around the head, well.........but,
again, that is again, just another scenario that comes to mind. I love the
Tokitsukaze boys, and it is a true tragedy to even remotely think that this
could be a result of "beatings" to build stamina.

Sumobaba

See my blog http://sumobaba.vox.com