[sumo] Iz Kamakawiwo'ole Sumo Song

jdemund at aol.com jdemund at aol.com
Wed Jun 27 10:17:34 EDT 2007

Thank you, Barbara for reminding us of this song and Thank You, Katrina
for the lyrics.
We first heard this song in LA at a dinner where Akebono was present
with his deshi, (now Ushiomaru) and they played it over and over again
until Akebono finally said "Please! stop that song!"  After several
rounds of Sapporo, I think he just wanted a little more quiet.  At any
rate, it was a tribute to those guys who had to leave home and family
behind and go to a place completely different from anything they had
known and they succeeded.  I remember Akebono's Mother telling us that
at first he hated it all but especially the food as it was so different
 from his mother's style.  His family thgought he would just quit and
come back but he stuck it out and became a hero to them, to me, and to
all sumo fans.

Janice & Chuck