[sumo] Musashigawa kanreki dohyo-iri

Jezz jejima at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 04:22:38 EDT 2007

On 19/06/07, Joshua Maciel <joshua.maciel at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's about $225,000 US dollars per year, and not even including supporter
> fees, or a higher rank, or anything else. Certainly not shabby. Anyone know
> how I can apply for one of these jobs?

It might sound like a lot of money, but compared to the manager of a
football team or other major sport, is it that much?  I bet managers
of the Japanese Baseball teams earn considerably more - and they may
even get some time off from their jobs!  I have a feeling that being a
heya Oyakata is nearly a 24-hour-a-day, 365-day-a-year job....

Also, it is really for two people, as the Oyakata's wife (I think)
doesn't get a separate salary, yet is expected to do a lot for the
heya.

Jejima