[sumo] Musashigawa kanreki dohyo-iri

Joe Kuroda joe_kuroda at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 18 10:41:32 EDT 2007

--- John Racine <gaijira at ace.ocn.ne.jp> wrote:

> >He must have a pretty high salary, with all the
> ozeki and the yokozuna
> he raised adding to his oyakata basho bonus.
>
> I've never heard of this.  Can someone elaborate on
> how the oyakata's
> salaries are calculated?

A salary won't be higher just because he had so many
high ranking rikishi before. Though he might have more
supporters for the heya having many known rikishi and
that will help his heya's operation expense.

If I recall a basic salary of oyakata is slihglty
lower than 800,000 Yen (about US$7,000 month). Being a
director, the salary will be close to double that. In
addition a senior Toshiyori gets slightly more
per-basho allowances so I imagine Musashigawa's salary
from the Kyokai is close to around 1,500,000 Yen.

In addition each heya owning oyakata gets a rikishi
allowance based on how many rikishi he has as well as
sekitori and higher ranking rikishi get more per-basho
allowance to help out the operation expenses.

One of the knocks against Musashigawa is that other
than Musashimaru, his sekitori are more likely from
college ranks rather than him raising 15 year old recruits.

.....Jonosuke
  <  Heart  Technique  Physique      &#24515;&#12288;&#25216;&#12288;&#20307;&#12288;>