[sumo] Old Sumo Picture

Leigh Solland (on Webmail) solland at telusplanet.net
Thu Jun 14 17:54:09 EDT 2007

Quoting Philip Sherman <philnorm at webtv.net>:

> Gee,
>  Quite a difference size wise. I am not a photographer, so could you tell me,
> in that day and age would the photo be taken using flash powder like you see
> in the movies depicting the western's?

I am a photographer, and this is what I see in the photograph.  The light is
coming from high and to the right, so I would guess that it is natural light.
The photograph was either taken outside or in front of a big window.  The
emulsions of the day were very slow, so the sumotori were probably posed
comfortably, and the shutter was opened for several minutes to make the
exposure.  The background is clearly a big curtain.  I think the floor surface
might be rug, but there could have been a rug and curtain set up outside.  The
corners of the photograph are darker, but that could have been done during the
printing, by burning-in, or it may have been where the window light hit the
curtain.

Flash powder came into use in the late 1880s, so if the photograph was indeed
made in the 1870s, it would not have been used.

There is no reason why an old photograph would not be "clear".  Photographic
emulsions and processes were developed in the 19th century, but lenses had been
around a lot longer.  One reason some old photos look blurry in places is that
the wind ruffled the leaves, children moved their heads, or some other motion
took place during the very long exposures.  Most, if not all, shots at that
time would have been taken with the camera mounted on a tripod or some other
support -- no jerky hand-held shots yet.

And "westerns" does not have an apostrophe.  Now you know everything I do.

Leigh/Iwayama