[sumo] Old Sumo Picture

Kurt Easterwood pumpkin at orange.plala.or.jp
Thu Jun 14 12:17:44 EDT 2007

This photo was taken by Baron Raimund von Stillfried-Ratenicz, an
Austrian who ran a Yokohama photo studio in the 1870's. Interestingly,
much of his "portraits" of various aspects of Japanese society were done
with models, not actual samurai, farmers, etc., however in this case,
given the chonmage, these look like actual rikishi. A slightly larger
copy of the same photo can be seen here:
http://www.old-japan.co.uk/librarydetail.asp?id=1206

If you like this kind of thing, more photos can been seen at these links:

http://tinyurl.com/yqrt8n
http://tinyurl.com/27peke
http://oldphoto.lb.nagasaki-u.ac.jp/en/target.php?id=1260 (Stillfried)
http://oldphoto.lb.nagasaki-u.ac.jp/en/target.php?id=1261 (Stillfried)