[sumo] Sumo in Movie / TV

Jim Bitgood Jimbit2 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 11 15:45:20 EDT 2007

In a similar vein -
This weekend I was watching my 7-year-old
grandson for a while and found he was watching a
Cartoon Network program called "Teen Titans"
about teenaged super heroes, one being Batman's
Robin. Anyway the story was set in Tokyo. I
missed the start and the end, but the part I was
great fun. The signs in Japanese were real, there
was even a brief segment of somebody watching a
TV that was showing a sumo match.
I really enjoyed the one somewhat robotic super
hero who was wandering around the city with a
dictionary and found the restaurant that he was
looking for. The sign in very good kanji said
"Tabe-houdai" which is what I always told my
friends was my favorite Japanese food "All you can eat."

At 14:30 6/11/2007, you wrote:
>I was watching Oceans 13 yesterday (funnier than I had expected) when I
>suddenly yelled out ³yobidashi² in a crowded theater as I saw the tell-tale
>shoes as a dohyo was being swept on screen.  To my surprise they had about
>30 seconds of sumo in the movie.  Later when watching the credits, my
>suspicion was confirmed that the rikishi were none other than Akebono and
>Musashimaru!  The USA Sumo confirms that they were involved in making this
>scene happen.
>What an unexpected pleasure.  I look forward to seeing more sumo snippets in
>mainstream movies.

         Jim
         "Chitose-Taikai"