[sumo] Dohyo

Doreen Simmons jz8d-smmn at asahi-net.or.jp
Fri Jun 8 08:02:58 EDT 2007

On 2007/06/08, at 16:11, Moti wrote:
> Before Sadogatake came over, we flew to Japan and brought a specimen
> from the Kkan dohyo, which was analyzed in a lab and reconstructed to
> everyone's content, using sand found near the Dead Sea.

Wow. In the old days, a couple of oyakata would be sent out ahead to
try all the samples brought to them. The test in those
technologically-challenged days was to take a handful of the earth and
squeeze it; if it held together, it was right. Though I am reminded
about the tech upgrading of beer brewing. They set up this machine that
was to test the grains of barley to see if they were ready for malting.
Then to calibrate the machine, they called in Old Fred, the expert, and
handed him grains of different ages. He just bit into each, and
pronounced, 'Just right', 'Ready tomorrow' etc.

Doreen