[sumo] Yubari basho

John Racine gaijira at ace.ocn.ne.jp
Fri Jun 8 02:26:03 EDT 2007

It really is a sad sorry.  And it dominated the news here for weeks when the
story first broke.

Fortunately, the news from the last couple of months has been about Yubari's
volunteerism and do-it-yourself spirit.  So many individuals and companies
have agreed to take on large responsibilities (usually at a loss) just to
keep the city's show on the road.

One (of many) really nice stories was how the local high school with a
budget of next to nothing, was able to preserve their graduation ceremony
when the kids along with local volunteers did-it-themselves.  I'm sure it
was extra special for the graduates as they had taken control of their own
destiny.

Ozumo going there is just one of the many positive things helping Yubari to
get through these difficult times.

John Racine