[sumo] Miyabiyama's mother passes away

Joe Petrow joepetrow at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 01:36:28 EDT 2007

On 6/8/07, Jezz <jejima at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/06/07, Joe Kuroda <joe_kuroda at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Former ozeki Miyabiyama's mother, Masami Takeuchi,
> > passed away at a hospital in Shizuoka Prefecture on
> > June 7.
> >
> > Despite his beloved mother's death Miyabiyama flew to
> > Honolulu on the same day to participate in Ozumo's
> > Hawaii Jyungyo to be held on June 9 to 10.
> >
> > "More than anything else she hated to miss work,"
> > Miyabiyama said prior to his departure. At the moment,
> > no funeral arrangements have yet been made.
> >

> This is an interesting point.  Miyabiyama shows respect to his late
> mother by continuing with his work - even though that means he will be
> taken to another country.  He will probably be respected for this
> decision by many.

But in Japan, the funeral arrangements are generally the
responsibility of the eldest son.  I couldn't find out offhand whether
or not Miyabiyama has an elder brother, but if he is delaying the
religious services for his mother in order to go to Hawaii, then he
may be criticized for his decision despite following what he believes
are his mother's wishes.

On another note, the Wikipedia site on Miyabiyama says that his
favorite song artist is ZARD (Izumi Sakai), who died last week after a
fall from a staircase, and who had been battling cancer for some time.
 So these have not been happy times for Miyabiyama at all.

  - Peterao