[sumo] Fun with Sumo (bumper stickers)

Jim Bitgood Jimbit2 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 6 20:58:02 EDT 2007

Last weekend, we visited our grandkids for the granddaughter's 10th
birthday party. First though on Friday night we went to a minor
league baseball game that our son got tickets for.
Later in the game, my wife went to get some ice cream for all of us.
Then told me this story when she got back.
While standing the long, slow line at the concession stand, she began
talking with someone else in the line. Barbara responded to some
question by telling the person that "we are not from around here."
Adding that we live in Maryland. The lady then asked if we had a red
van, then "Does it have a sumo bumper sticker?" Yes.(Although Barbara
had not actually seen the sticker yet, she knew it was there.) They
had driven into the parking lot behind us.
Now, my question for my wife was did they read the sumo bumper
sticker or did they recognize the tiny drawing of the sumotori on the
sticker? She didn't know. The reason I wondered about that is that I
got the bumper sticker with "Sumou" written in katakana.
So, I would like to thank whoever it was that responded to the
question about where to buy sumo bumper stickers and whoever it was
who asked the original question.  Thank you both.

         Jim
         "Chitose-Taikai"