[sumo] A little sumo quiz
sumobab at attglobal.net
Wed Jun 6 14:49:07 EDT 2007
Mostly tongue-in-cheek, from the Honolulu Advertiser today. Answers are on
Wednesday, June 6, 2007
You think you know sumo?
By Ferd Lewis
Sumo returns to Honolulu Saturday and Sunday at Blaisdell Arena after a
14-year absence, meaning it is time to get reacquainted with the sport of
A lot has happened since the local favorites, Akebono, Konishiki and
Musashimaru, hung up their mawashi and the Mongolians took over. So, dust
off your sumo knowledge, grab a pencil and see if you're still up on some of
the ins and outs of this ancient sport.
1. The new yokozuna is called Hakuho because:
(a) It is a whole lot easier than signing autographs as Munkbat Davaajargal,
his legal name.
(b) His parents were fans of Hoku Ho.
(c) His stablemaster liked its meaning, White Phoenix.
2. When a sumotori throws salt into the air before a match it is because:
(a) Somebody sitting within tossing distance is heckling him.
(b) It signals to the opponent that the loser buys the sushi.
(c) It purifies the ring.
3. It is a serious breach of sumo rules to:
(a) Leave a buffet before it has been completely emptied.
(b) Pull an opponent's hair.
(c) Tell your opponent to buy a bra.
4. The envelopes that the winning wrestlers receive after their bouts
(a) Prize money from sponsors.
(b) A week's supply of Lean Cuisine coupons.
(c) Congratulatory messages from their fans.
5. Wrestlers stomp their feet to:
(a) Wake up anybody who has dozed off.
(b) Keep their feet warm.
(c) Symbolically drive away ill fortune.
6. The hairstyles of the sumotori come from:
(a) The 17th century.
(b) Super Cuts of Shinjuku.
(c) Best of the Sumo Illustrated Swimsuit Edition.
7. After retirement, leading sumotori often:
(a) Open Curves franchises.
(b) Become coaches or stablemasters.
(c) Begin second careers as jockeys.
8. The home of sumo in Tokyo is called:
(a) Fat City.
(b) The Kokugikan.
9. One reason for the absence of Hawai'i sumotori in the sport now is:
(a) A calorie cap.
(b) A limit on the number of foreigners allowed.
(c) Mongolians taking up all the room.
10. Which is among the 70 officially recognized techniques to win a sumo
(A) Step-over toe hold.
(B) Atomic knee-drop.
(c) Mackerel wrap.
If you answered eight or more questions correctly, consider yourself a grand
champion. Six or above is passing and five or fewer means you might want to
consider following checkers instead.
Answers: 1. (c); 2. (c); 3. (b); 4. (a); 5. (c); 6. (A); 7. (b); 8. (b); 9.
(b); 10. (c)
More information about the Sumo