Wondering Was(RE: [sumo]member's comment/ hon tix

Sumobaba sumobab at attglobal.net
Wed Jun 6 14:17:25 EDT 2007

The people I have spoken to who "hang out" in my hotel (restaurant, bar), as
well as the employees there, are saying that the tickets are too expensive
for the mainstream Hawaiian person, and even those who live in the
surrounding condos here are not willing to spend so much since there are no
Hawaiians in sumo. These are not relocated mainlanders - these are people
born and raised here. The organizer has been here for about 8-10 years, a
Japanese man, and I understand that he is not very thrilled with the way the
ticket sales are going. Of course, this may all change once the boys arrive
tomorrow and the locals see them walking around - but this is in Waikiki,
not throughout the islands. Minezaki oyakata came in yesterday to do a
series of promotions and TV interviews (today on the local morning news
show) before the rikishi arrivals.

And as I speak, there's ozora/kawika's brother interviewing a local chef!!

Sumobaba

See my blog at http://sumobaba.vox.com
Are these tickets Tamari? Or are you talking about a
hon-basho or Jyungyo?

Are you saying 15 seats are available in one single
day or one ticket is available for 15 days?

If this is for Nagoya, obviously they cannot be Masu
as I don't know of any Masu sections with that price
as I believe Masu A is now up to 45,200 Yen for four
and Masu B is 41,000 Yen.

I always thought when you buy a ticket, you cannot
return it.  For instance if I buy from a Chaya a Masu
section, I can't return it. Are you saying one can
reserve a bunch of tickets and cancel them later?

But anyway if they are up front tickets, they should
have no trouble selling 15 tickets at the box.

> One of the Oyakata asked me last week(in Tokyo) if I
> thought the tix were
> too expensive, and if I thought they would sell.
> Interesting question,
> showing that the promoters may be frightening the
> JSA with the prices.

I also find this to be fascinating as well. Because
what I'd like to ask is who decides the ticket prices.

I don't remember if the Kyokai took over the promotion
of Jyungyo events or they still have local promoters
but can the promoters set the ticket prices any way
they want? It always appears to me regardless of what
type of event it is, a top Masu section always cost
about the same price, around 40,000 Yen whether a Hon
-basho, Jyungyo or Danpatsu.

As well it seems to me if this oyakata is a
representative of all oyakatas in the Kyokai, they are
seriously in a deep problem as they sound like they
have no idea how to run their operations.

First and foremost is that either they should be
controlling the jyungyo tours and worry about all the
finances and management or they will let the local
operators take the full control.

If the event turns out to be a financial disaster,
then it's not really up to them other than the fact
they won't be coming back to the same promoter next
year.

But if they believe the local promoter is imploding
then they should have expertise enough to avoid such
an outcome. If they start asking anyone or everyone
about  such things as ticket prices are too high or
not, they are in a deep trouble. If they need to come
up with that, get a Marketing company to do a more
scientific survey.

Ultimately the Kyokai is solely responsible for the
product they offer to the public at a reasonable price
they believe they can sell.

Since they need to file their financial statements to
the Ministry of Science and Education annually, they
must have shrewd beancounters to come up with the
ticket prices rather than asking an outsider for that
unless someone thinks you are an ordinary Joe the
public off the street and not exactly familiar with
sumo operations.  It may have been simply a
conversation piece rather than a serious inquiry.

.....Jonosuke
  <  Heart  Technique  Physique
&#24515;&#12288;&#25216;&#12288;&#20307;&#12288;>

      Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to
Yahoo! Answers and share what you know at http://ca.answers.yahoo.com