[sumo] Ama

Achim Pawelczyk sumo at achimp.de
Tue Jun 5 06:08:44 EDT 2007

> Kaiopectate! wrote:
>
>> I think Ama is inspirational and one of the most skilled and agile
>> rikishi.  The reported comments last year indicated that he realized
>> he needed to build his strength. I am afraid that already, having
>> risen to Sekiwake, he can't go higher.

Usually I don't take part in discussions including statistics, but this
one concerns Ama - and he is one of my favorites.

I see his potential as one close to Terao, if lucky Kirishima.

>> So, has Ama reached his peak?  Or has he surpassed it and will he
>> shortly tumble back into the meatgrinder?

>> I infer that he exercises a personal commitment
>> which exceeds even that of his fellow rikishi..

I think he possesses enough "spirit" to compensate his small stature,
similar to Terao.

Pierre Wohlleben schrieb:
 >As for Ama, I'm not quite on board with the "future Ozeki" idea, but
if >he can avoid injuries he could well remain a steady sanyaku presence
 >for the foreseeable future. Perhaps not at the Kotomitsuki/Wakanosato
 >level, but somewhere nearer to Akinoshima/Takatoriki. He's just 23 and
 >manages to hang in there already, which is normally a good sign,
though >his lack of size may prevent him from harnessing the usual level
of >improvement that rikishi undergo between age 23 and, say, 27.

I think that this is the main point - at his age he has quite some room
for improvement of the "body" part, like Kirishima.

His "technique" is already well developed.
I'd like to expect his first run at ozeki next year - I don't think
he'll ever reach there though.

--
Akinomaki