[sumo] [off topic] Dead Emperors (was Barbara's site Sumo News video)

Earle Jones earle.jones at comcast.net
Sun Jun 3 15:55:15 EDT 2007

On Jun 3, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Joe Kuroda wrote:

> --- John Racine <gaijira at ace.ocn.ne.jp> wrote:
>
>> But there is nothing in Shinto that prevents tombs
>> from being placed in
>> shrines.  In fact, many people's ashes are in tombs
>> at shrines throughout
>> Japan.  The most famous is probably Tokugawa Ieyasu
>> at the beautiful Toshogu
>> Shrine in Nikko.  Others include the famous samurai
>> Sakamoto Ryoma and
>> Minamoto no Yoritomo.
>
> Well I guess there is always the Yasukuni Shrine as
> well but we have enough bush fires going around so I
> don't want to go there.
>
> Ryoma Sakamoto has been always my hero. He and his
> brethren from what is now Kochi Prefecture, Shintaro
> Nakaoka were assasinated in Kyoto on November 15, 1867
> (Nakaoka passed away two days later after the attack).
>
> Ryoma was born and died on November 15. Their grave
> stones are found Ryozen Gogoku Jinja shrine lcoated in
> Higashiyama ward in Kyoto. On this day every year you
> will see a throng of people lining up there to visit
> Ryoma's grave site.
>
> The shrine was specifically requested to be built by
> the Meiji Emperor for those killed in the struggles to
> bring in the new era fighting against the last of
> Tokugawa shogunate.
>
> One of the most fascinating era of Japanese history as
> with Kaishu Katsu, Ryoma brought radical progressive
> thinking to hithereto closed society.
>
> .....Jonosuke

*
Greetings!  Sakamoto Ryoma has been one of my heros also.  In fact, I
have a very old telephone card with his picture on it.  (Give me your
address and I'll give it to you -- if I can find it!)

Have you ever visited the place in Yurakucho called 'Yosakoi'?  My
shikona 'Yosakoiboi' was derived from that.  'Yosakoi' was a small
drinking place located about three flights up under the freeway near
what we called 'Yakitori Dori' in Yurakucho.  There was no better
feeling in the world than wandering through the smoky yakitori stands
on my way to Yosakoi after a hard days work.  My office was in
walking distance.  I visited there two or three times a week for
about six years.

Yosakoi has many pictures of Sakamoto-san all over the place.  He was
obviously the hero of Yosakoi's mamasan, Yuka-san.  She was from
Tosa.   This is the place where I first got hooked on Tsukasabotan
sake, also the favorite of our own Kintaro-san.

Since those days I have a warm spot in my heart for Shikoku.

earle
*