[sumo] Rikishi Retirement Question

Achim Pawelczyk sumo at achimp.de
Sun Jun 3 10:44:46 EDT 2007

Slightly different focus, but one thing always strikes me odd with the
sekitori remaining in the NSK.

After they announce their retirement they usually change to a new, their
  oyakata name - but when NHK reports the retirement ceremony several
months later, it sounds as if they only with that ceremony take on that
name (shuumei suru).

Is their intai-zumo ceremony in that respect equal to the events
celebrating the change of name in kabuki or rakugo, which can take place
more than once ?

--
Akinomaki