[sumo] Rikishi Retirement Question

Joe Kuroda joe_kuroda at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 3 10:02:10 EDT 2007

--- Kevin Howat <kevinhowat at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> At the end of the Natsu basho we heard reports that
> both Wakatoba and Sumanofuji had announced their
> retirements.
<...>
> However, neither of them appear on the list of
> retirements after the basho.  Can anyone shed some
> light on the status of these 2 former Sekitori.

Actually things like this happened all the time. They
may not have had their Danpatsu and as long as their
shisho has not tendered their resingation paper to the
Kyokai office, they are not officially retired (but
they won't be able compete in a hon-basho once they
publicly announed their retirement following a Kyokai
protocol).

However just like Ouga stayed almost two months after
his initial public announcement so that he could take
in Jyungyo tours and meet his fans and thank them for
thier support, those making announcing their
retirement do not need to be off the Kyokai's payroll
right away.

This is almost true in case of former sekitori as they
are given a time to settle their own affairs and their
account get finalized. Whatever line of work they want
to pursue, once a sekitori, they have some money
coming when they leave and it helps.

.....Jonosuke
  <  Heart  Technique  Physique      &#24515;&#12288;&#25216;&#12288;&#20307;&#12288;>

      Get news delivered with the All new Yahoo! Mail.  Enjoy RSS feeds right on your Mail page. Start today at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca