[sumo] [Meta-topic] Why SML?

Joe Petrow joepetrow at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 23:53:21 EDT 2007

On 6/3/07, Philip Sherman <philnorm at webtv.net> wrote:
> We can bicker back and forth forever.
>   Why waste precious time saying my site is better and your site is not better than ours.
>  We could be talking about all aspects of sumo and learn more and more about it.

But that is my point...why is this "bickering" as you put it so
offensive to people?  Is there really so much to the world of sumo
that we should ensure that 100% of posts are sumo related?

For practical purposes, there is enough information on the Sumo Forum
and the Sumo ML Archives to answer over 99% of the questions that you
or anybody else already has.  If we simply required everyone to use
The Google before posting here we could also avoid the bickering you
mentioned...but people do not do that, because people are lazy and
want the instant gratification of having their question answered
without doing an ounce of work (myself included).

I believe that the reason the flame wars don't happen as often on the
Sumo Forum is that it is made up of the "sanyaku of sumo fans" as Moti
put it.  They know what they want from the Forum, they use it for that
purpose, and for the most part those people are happy about it.  The
Sumo ML are made up of all types of people, inlcuding beginners who
ask "what is morozashi?" without bothering to try and find the
information for themselves, and people who's main motivation is
selling their artwork.  Because the variety of people and variety of
desires is so diverse, the occasional flame war is an inevitable, and
I believe, necessary state of affairs on this list to keep it healthy.

We are destined to bicker back and forth forever.  And I wouldn't have
it any other way.

Regards,
  Peterao