[sumo] Rikishi Retirement Question

Moti sumo1 at dichne.com
Sat Jun 2 16:53:43 EDT 2007

Kevin Howat wrote:

> At the end of the Natsu basho we heard reports that both Wakatoba and Sumanofuji had announced their retirements.
>
> Makushita West 22 and former Makuuchi Wakatoba, 29, of
> Oguruma beya has announced his retirement on day 14.
> After finishing the basho with 1 win and 6 losses, he
> stated he "lost the will to continue."
>
> Former Juryo Makushita East 10 Sumanofuji, 29, of
> Nakamura beya has announced his retirement on May 27.
> He finished with 1 win and 6 losses this basho.
>
> However, neither of them appear on the list of retirements after the basho.  Can anyone shed some light on the status of these 2 former Sekitori.
>
> -Akemisamaru

It's a question of kabu, at least with Wakatoba. He is trying to arrange
for some loaning, I gather, and is buying time. As for Sumanofuji, it
could be his Oyakata submiting the resignation a bit too late.
I don't think anyone outside of the heya really knows for sure.
They will be on the Makushita banzuke next time, but won't be competing.

--
Kintamayama
Download my Sumo  toolbar at http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/