[sumo] Yokozuna Demotions

Emmett Wayne emmett.wayne at us.army.mil

From: sumo-bounces at webtrek.com [mailto:sumo-bounces at webtrek.com] On Behalf
Of Joe Kuroda
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2007 7:30 PM
To: Sumo Mailing List
Subject: Re: [sumo] Some Unrelated Questions

The background of its founding stems from the 1950
Hatsu basho when three yokozuna Terukuni, Azumafuji
and Haguroyama all withdrew from the basho and the
Kyokai was forced to react due to huge public
outcries. Idiotically the Kyokai's reactionary move
was to demote them to ozeki, which caused far more
public outcries so they had to retract from their
initial decision.

.....Jonosuke
  <  Heart  Technique  Physique   >

Joe,

This is the first time I have heard this story.  Is there somewhere on the
web where I can read about the whole incident.

Thank you.

Emmett
Torideyama