[sumo] Meta-Question: Why SML?

James Marshall dronak at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 17:51:09 EDT 2007

--- John Racine <gaijira at ace.ocn.ne.jp> wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I've been a member for over eight years, and I've
> valued
> all the input I've received here.  I guess I'm really asking the true
> believers of the SML to tell me why they keep on keepin' on.

>From someone who mainly lurks here, I'd say there are two main reasons
for me.  One is that I generally prefer mailing lists to web boards.  I
know both have their advantages, but I tend to prefer that discussions
come to me, rather than me going to them.  Mailing lists bring the
conversations straight to my e-mail inbox in real time (since I almost
never use digest mode).  Web boards require me to be more active,
visiting a web site, then sorting through all of the messages that have
been posted since my last visit.  That's a bit more work than I'd like
to do many times, and when I do visit web boards, I pick and choose
what I look at, so I don't even see the subjects of every post made,
like I do with mailing lists.

The other is habit/tradition.  I've been on the list for quite a while,
even if it's just lurking, and I'm comfortable with it.  I get the kind
of information I want from here, and I don't see a need to go somewhere
else for it, especially when it requires being more active than
passive, as noted above.

I'm sure everyone has their own reasons, and I've looked over some of
them given so far.  This is just my take on it, for what it's worth.

--
James Marshall
dronak at yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/dronak/