[sumo] Some Unrelated Questions

Pierre Wohlleben Pierre.Wohlleben at gmx.net
Fri Jun 1 14:50:21 EDT 2007

>> 1) Tamanoshima has been ranked in sanyaku for four bashos, but has not
>> made kachi-koshi there. I know that Ryogoku and Tochitsukasa also had
>> four bashos in sanyaku each, without making kachi-koshi once. My
>> question is this: Are they the least successful sanyaku rikishi in the
>> modern era (let's say, post-WW2), or are there other rikishi with more
>> bashos in sanyaku without a kachi-koshi?
>
> Daijuyama from '81 to '89 had 7 basho at sanyaku getting 6 MK and 1 KK
> (8-7)
> Fujinokawa did the same in the late 60's.
> Fujizakura in the 70's & 80's had 10 sanyaku basho with 9 MK's
> Tsurugamine in the 50's and 60's had 11 basho with 9 MK's.

Small correction: Tsurugamine had "only" 8 MK in 11 basho.

Other guys I've found since 1909 (semi-automatically, but I might have overlooked somebody anyway):

Ozutsu - 2 KK in 11 (1980s)
Kyokutenho - 2 KK in 10
Fukunohana - 1 KK in 7 (1960s/70s)
Kaneshiro/Tochihikari - 1 KK in 7 (1970s/1980)
Aonosato - 1 KK in 6 (1960s)
Kainoyama - 1 KK in 6 (1960s)
Kongo - 1 KK in 6 (1970s)

The no-KK recordholder predates WWII...one Oshio went 0-for-5 in the 1930s, albeit with one complete absence and two injury-shortened basho.

Other 0-for-4 guys besides the aforementioned Tamanoshima, Ryogoku and Tochitsukasa:

Kairyuyama (1960s)
Maedagawa (1960s)
Mutsuarashi (1960s/70s)
Orochigata (1910s)
Yutakayama (1970s; not the Ozeki)

> The rikishi with the most MK's from lower sanyaku as far as I can see is
> Takamiyama who had 27 basho as Komusubi or Sekiwake and went MK in 15 of
> them and of his 12 KK's 9 of them were 8-7.

The often-overlooked Akinoshima went two better (or worse, I suppose)...17 MK in 27 sanyaku basho.

Perhaps also noteworthy might be Dewanohana from the 1980s with 14 MK in 19 basho. He was actually pretty good to start out, with 5 kachi-koshi in his first 9 basho, then went MK in the next 10 opportunities.

Asashosakari