[sumo] Meta-Question: Why SML?

RDeussen at aol.com RDeussen at aol.com
Fri Jun 1 10:46:18 EDT 2007

In a message dated 6/1/2007 9:24:20 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gaijira at ace.ocn.ne.jp writes:

Don't  get me wrong, I've been a member for over eight years, and I've valued
all  the input I've received here.  I guess I'm really asking the  true
believers of the SML to tell me why they keep on keepin'  on.

You know, a lot of this is habit.   I'm used to this list.   Sumo Forum seems
big and confusing in comparison, although I'm sure that's  because I'm an
infrequent visitor and therefore not really used to the  format.

Having said that, the utility of this list is at an all time  low.   For
example, a few days ago someone wrote about Sumo and  Shinto, a subject that I
find very interesting.   I framed a rather  lengthy reply, only to delete it to
avoid any sort of flaming from anyone who  has a different interpretation of
monotheism, Kami, Sumo, Shinto, cultural  variations in views of the divine, or
maybe he/she just isn't feeling well today  and wants to blast someone.   This
excessive caution, induced by bad  experiences, will erode the list
eventually by limiting posts to safe, banal  subjects, all marked with the word
(spoiler) just to make sure nobody takes  offense.  (I have wondered for years why
stuff is marked spoiler when  it has nothing to do with daily results.   Let's
face it, two weeks  after a basho, nothing should be a spoiler.   I'd go so far
as to  say, 24 hours after a bout, the spoiler tag is suspect...)

So, I'm off to Sumo Forum to familiarize myself with their  layout.

Fluffyyama