[sumo] Hakatoriki

Sumobaba sumobab at attglobal.net
Mon Jul 2 06:51:51 EDT 2007

Sorry not to answer sooner, Phil. I was out most of yesterday.

I actually thought you were making a joke based on the names' similarity.
You know, of course, that the boys are given/take on a shikona (fighting
name) when they reach a certain point in their careers. Thus, "Takatoriki"
is probably from his former heya's "Taka-", as in Takanohana, Takatoriki,
Takanonami, etc. Likewise, "Hoku-" stems from Hokutoriki's heya -
Hokutoriki, Hokutoyutaka, Hokutokuni, Hokutoiwa, etc. Now, Hakurozan and
Roho ARE brothers, but their names have no similarity to one another where
one would assume that they are brothers. Then, you have Yuminosato and
Takanoya, from Naruto-beya, who  are also brothers, but I guess in a moment
of lightheartedness, Naruto Oyakata named them thusly with the roots of the
names being "bow" (Yuminosato) and "arrow" (Takanoya).

There are many "-wakas, Waka-s", and I don't think very many, if any are
related.

Now, I hope you feel better. You certainly did not do anything egregious - I
really did think you were injecting a little levity there:-)

Best regards,

Sumobaba

See my blog http://sumobaba.vox.com