[sumo] [Long] Asashoryu Yaocho Article from Shukan Gendai

JZ8D-SMMN at asahi-net.or.jp JZ8D-SMMN at asahi-net.or.jp
Sun Jan 28 23:19:13 EST 2007

And while we're on the subject of 'non-fiction writers', I've just had time to check out
last week's Telegraph story and it's by Julian Ryall, whose byline has appeared in a number of places over the last few years.
Last time I noticed it he was in the first edition of the Tokyo Al Jazeera website news in the summer of 2004;
his article,on the declining popularity of sumo, was clearly based on some false accounting in Shukan Post
(though their piece containing blatantly false figures, for instance, for new entrants seems to have disappeared from the English website).

I quote (from the Al Jaz. Ryall piece): "Just a year ago, it would have been unthinkable that the Tokyo Grand Summer
Sumo Tournament ... would not have been sold out months in advance. Tickets would have been on sale on the
Internet at several times the face value, and, on the mornings of the two-week tournament, touts loitering
outside the imposing, low building beside the Sumida River would have been doing a roaring trade."

This, I remind you, was written in summer 2004 and claiming to describe the ticket sales situation in May 2003.
As I remarked in my Kansai Time Out column of July 2004,

Well, he's right about the position of the building.
The reporter appears to be a newcomer to Japan who has patiently gone through all the old newspaper files to
find a story, and added a couple of interviews to put his own stamp on it -- like the one with a sumo official
who "pauses before making his admission:'Yes, there are tickets still available.'"

And this is the same man, apparently using the same level of investigative journalism, who produced the Telegraph story.

Doreen surfacing briefly and hoping this will segue into my next column...

Huzuyomama said:

>The fact that he refers to himself as a "non-fiction writer"
>raises hackles.
>

>On Jan 28, 2007, at 8:58 PM, Earle Jones wrote:
>

>> On Jan 28, 2007, at 11:10 AM, Joe Kuroda wrote:
>>
>>> Blowing a Whistle on Asashoryu's Yaocho (Bout Fixing)
>>> by Yorimasa Takeda, non-fiction writer
>>>
>>> The Weekly Shukan Gendai, February 3, 2007 issue
Doreen Simmons
jz8d-smmn at asahi-net.or.jp