[sumo][spoiler]Tochiazuma

Chuck Finberg cfinberg862 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 7 14:03:42 EST 2007

I have long been an admirer of Tochiazuma.  He had plenty going for him as he entered professional sumo, but size was not among those things.  I admire his determination, and his ability to overcome adversity and injury.  It's almost as though he has to overcome the essential limitations of his own body.  He seems to be a model of hard work.  I can't recall any occasion on which his public comments haven't been admirable, either.

He didn't look good in his first bout.  Facing a charge by Kotoshogiku, he basically relented rather than put his left knee to the test.

According to the English-language broadcast, Tochiazuma has no plans to call off his bout against Roho on Day 2.  I just don't know whether continuing to compete in this basho is a good idea.  I'll be amazed if he can do it.