[sumo] [spoilers]Takanohana and steroid abuse

Scott Kahn smk1 at columbia.edu
Mon Dec 10 14:09:42 EST 2007

I bring up Takanohana only because he missed many Jungyo and was given a
pass, whereas Asashoryu, who had lived up to his Jungyo billing in the
past, was not.  If, as is suspected, Takanohana deprived his fans from
seeing him at Jungyo because of steroid abuse, even if he was the most
upstanding citizen and was the most dedicated Kyokai employee, it is my
opinion that he should have been, or should be equally punished.
Whether or not taking steroids was illegal is immaterial, the results
are just as if Takanohana had missed the same Jungyo because of too much
alcohol consumption.  But we both know an investigation into
Takanohana's handling by the Kyokai and the possible involvement of
steroids will never happen.  Too much would come out about the behind
the scenes workings of the Kyokai.  The Kyokai does not exist to be fair
in its punishment of its Yokozuna for their transgressions.  I wonder,
if the situation had been reversed, whether there would be a
retrospective investigation of Asashoryu.  That seems more likely.

I understand what you mean by the Taiho reference.  However, an
investigation into the Takanohana steroid accusations would not require
any match results to be reversed, it could be handled by a suspension
that is equivalent to two basho and half a year salary reduction for
every Jungyo that Takanohana missed due to steroid abuse.  Again, both
you and I know this would never happen.

Sukubidubidu