[sumo] [spoilers]Asashoryu's open armed and beloved return.

Achim Pawelczyk sumo at achimp.de
Mon Dec 10 08:24:19 EST 2007

Doreen Simmons schrieb:

> On 2007/12/08, at 20:36, Achim Pawelczyk wrote:
>>
>> I think they can be compared in terms of publicity.
>> Just look at NHK. On the day of his return, Asashoryu was top on
>> nearly every NHK news programm, news7: 8:30 minutes , news9: 11:40. On
>> the day he appeared at the jungyo, he was in the main news, the two
>> remaining days of the jungyo were on the sports news. I can't remember
>> any case in which a jungyo was present that much on NHK.
>>

> Does this mean that you only get NHK?  Did you miss seeing him on all
> the other TV news broadcasts, and in all the Japanese papers? It wasn't
> just NHK reporters who block-booked every plane out of Mongolia to make
> sure of getting up close -- forgetting that Shoryu couldn't get a ticket
> himself!

I can only watch the free NHK international broadcast on JSTV in Europe.
Everything else is listening, unless one pays the high subscription fee.
For sumo broadcast this means having only the English side.
JSTV also has just over 20 minutes of FNN Fuji TV news on weekdays.

In the papers available on the web I can regularly read reports on sumo,
but NHK has severely cut back over the years. Giving the Asa story that
much room on their news seemed very unusual, and it appeared to me as
more than just a big negative story - a big public interest in the fate
of the first gaijin dai-yokozuna.
And not to forget the group of small children at the jungyo answering in
unison to "who do you like?".

--
Akinomaki